Saturday, June 10, 2006

I walked along...:

No, no Green Day quote on that one, though it might be appropriate. I did actually walk along and alone today for further than I have walked in some time. That wasn't my original intent when I set out from the house, but it's where I ended up which is why I write.

The goal today was to get the mop chopped because it's getting too long to spike. Having a new hair shop at the corner, I figured I'd just walk. So I did. Well, when they didn't have a slot open for me, I just kept going.

And I walked on.

My feet carried me and the music gave bounce to my steps, but when I reached a certain spot in the road - I felt lead to stop. So I did.

I stepped off the road and looked across a rolling field. I saw acres upon acres teaming with wheat, swaying back and forth as the wind blew it. While watching the wheat sway, each stalk pushing the next toward in synchronization with the wind.

Standing on the concrete precipice that I was, I imagined the fields as not wheat, but a great multitude of people stretching beyond the compass of mortal vision. As they swayed at the movement of the wind, I thought of how Christians were meant to spur each other on to strive for greater height of personal holiness and an unwillingness to settle for the mediocre.

And how symbolic that it was the wind which blew them... the urging of the Holy Spirit to know God more and to seek hard after Him!

I thought to myself, "I wish to effect multitudes like this...," yet I felt a sting of my own conscience within me, asking myself if I was allowing myself to be open to the Spirit's direction and willing to to be an element of change, not simply complaint.

It's really food for thought for us all. When we strike each other in conversation, do sparks fly, metal heating metal, and sharpening our strength, hearts, and minds - do we allow God to move through us and in turn move those around us... or do we sit by idly and cynically watching others move?

2 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Missy said...

beautiful and inspiring. thank you.

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger me said...

thank you for spurring us on Dame-

I appreciate your walk in the Lord (and your choice of art.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home