Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Damien, the Youth Pastor - Not to be Confused with the Antichrist:

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me, "Have you ever heard of the Omen movies?!" I wouldn't have college bills and would be able to buy myself a girlfriend!

(Disclaimer: Ladies, please take no offense... that is a bitter remark on how some of you let yourselves be bought... you have the power to change that - prove me wrong!)

I digress.

I say all that to say that with the recent advent of today being the sixth day, of the sixth month, of the two-thousand sixth century, not to mention with the release of an Omen remake... I have received many a comment regarding the origin of my name.

Let's get one fact out of the way. Yes, my parents saw the movie either before or after conceiving me, hated it, but loved the name. So I bare this name.. which has actually been the focus of a great deal of mental gymnastics.

How does a kid deal with being named after someone who portrayed the son of Satan? Insecurities are already present in the live of a growing person... then to throw that stigma on top... yikes.

For the record, other than my aquired depravity - which daily I strain to rid myself of - I am not evil! I am actually a nice person who may come across as a little scary in a trench coat, but you can't judge a book by it's cover. My heart is different because my heart is Christ's. I am born of light, not darkness.

So will I see the movie? Probably not. I hate horror movies. Though I do admit the ploy for the release date was either really smart or incredible overdone and cliche'.

I say all this to say that I have officially dodged any "Damien" comments today.

3 Comments:

At 1:32 AM, Blogger matthew said...

glad you (and all of us) made it through the day, haha

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006260268,00.html

Could be worse eh?

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Erskine said...

Guess what I'm going to hit you with?

No, not a pitchfork - a bacon-wrapped marshmallow.

A guy in our young adults' group made them two Sundays ago. What a strange experience!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home