Friday, January 20, 2006

System Requirements:

Being single has its pros and cons, but this is not a rant about either. What has more cons (seemingly) than pros is leaving a college that stereotypically assigns you a spouse upon graduation without the aforementioned attachment.

What I don't want to do is become "That Intern." You know what I mean if you're a BBC student, past or present. That intern who comes back from their internship and cunningly lures a bedazzled, starry-eyed freshman with charming stories of heroic ministerial feats and tales of personal holiness. It's like a mind game... so for today's lesson, we'll call this tactic The Head Shot.

If The Head Shot it were a mathematic equation, it'd look something like this: Student (X) is seeking the perfect wo/man (7) as a partner in ministry (1 = X + 7). Returning intern (Y) is looking for a cut in the action (3.1415) because of the nagging fear that BBC is the end of the marital line (Y + 7= 3.1415) What happens in The Head Shot is this: X(-6) + Y (-3.8685) does not = 1 or 3.1415.... it turns out to be a greater negative than either party is looking for.

I say all of this to help both returning interns and fellow classmen (upper and lower) keep things in perspective. It isn't bad to come back and find someone who you may have overlooked or find chemistry in a place least expected, but it is helpful to know what you want, not settling for what you've convinced yourself that you need. I say this to myself as well.

Last night I had a good talk with a dear friend on this topic. I confessed that I am at a place in my life where I don't want to fuss with the games of dating; I'd rather have a wife than a girlfriend. Yes, I know - baby steps - and they will be, but I'm not dating around just for the sake of filling a void. I've had plenty of time to think about this and much like a piece of software has it's requirements, so do I. Let me give you an example:

- Random Sense of humor: This girl must have the ability to participate in things that make no logical sense. Such as me showing up at the door, tagging her, and yell "YOU'RE IT!" as I run away in anticipation/execution of pursuit.

- In addendum to that requirement, she has to think that I am funny… enough said on that one.

- This may sound ridiculously shallow, but she has to be cute. It’s more than simple physical attraction – it’s an attitude, a certain quirkiness, or set of idiosyncrasy. If we were all honest, we’d all admit that we are looking for someone we’re attracted to physically.

- She has to love Jesus like nothing else.

- Music: similar loves in music (i.e. must has an appreciation for Five Iron Frenzy), an ear for it, and an understanding/ love of guitars… not to mention the ability to hold her own in a mosh pit.

- Must have a sense of adventure…

Not sure where I'm going with this, but I'm pretty sure I'd like to find that 7 = 1, not another X.

3 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger matthew said...

haha, very funny post :)

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Jo said...

well said! you should start a student newpaper and do the editorial column.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger swITCHFUTgUY said...

genuis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home