Saturday, December 03, 2005

A Shampoo, A Haircut, A Shoulder Massage, A Ministry:

It's been a while since I last had my mane trimmed and so I decided to find a local barber shop for one last hair cut before leaving this part of the world. Whenever I go some place to get my hair cut, I usually have a captive audience in my barber, so I take the opportunities to talk about life.

Usually, people are quite surprised that someone my age is studying for the ministry. Maybe it's because I have been told that I don't look my age... or it could be my boyish good looks... :-P. Whatever the case may be, I started talking about why I was in Fishers, Indiana and found out that the woman who was cutting my hair was originally from Guatemala City. I told her that I had friend who are in Guatemala quite often.

As we talked, I learned that she had three teenage children and she expressed how grateful she was that people do ministry specifically for teenagers. As we continued to talk, I learned that her husband had left her just a few months prior for her sister-in-law (her brother's wife). Both families were experiencing the anger and pain revolving around this situation.

I can't relate to that feeling, but do know One who heals indiscriminately from situations like this. Jesus Christ has healed me from different pains and angers. He promised that He would send The Comforter and God always keeps His promises.

My barber was already a believer and expressed just how much she was relying on God to be her strength and to help out her kids. I told her about our youth ministry and encouraged her to have them check it out.

Was it simply the resonation of our beliefs that caused a divine moment of encouragement and ministry? It's funny how people open up - I have never met this woman before, nor will I probably ever see her again, but I believe that something as simple as a trip to the barber shop would serve as an encouragement to someone.

So for $13, I was able to share with her some comfort... oh yeah, and I got my hair washed, conditioned, and cut as well as a wicked shoulder massage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home